Tuesday 28 May 2013

OUGD402 - It's up to you

For my It's up to you brief I decided to go down the route in the way that I felt best represents me and my style. I chose to base my product around illustration as its something I haven't really explored much this year and its something I enjoy doing.

In my pack I want to include business cards and a bit about me, all in one relatively small in size, probably about A6 so its easy to handle. 

Some of the artists I was looking at for my research were very illustrative and I took inspiration from some of there work. 
I looked at Joakim Ojanen who is an illustrator I have looked at in the past, I liked this idea of a long fold out sheet of paper that has a flowing illustration on that almost in some respects tells a story. 




I like his style of drawing and the weird characters he creates, I wanted to use a similar style of character drawing because I feel a realistic illustration style might not work how I want it to.

I also looked at Andy Rementer who is an illustrator who I've followed for a while, I like his simple style and use of pretty soft colours.





I like the colours he uses something that I would like to try and replicate on my final piece, I also like how the scenes work in the pictures he draws. 



So Me is a similar artist to the ones I've been looking at, his style although looks similar is quite distinct in other areas, for example the much bolder use of colour. 

I have decided on producing a long strip of illustrations on the largest standard size I can go to which will be A0. I want to concertina the pages so it will fit neatly into the pack.
For the actual fold out sheet I want to include the things I've learnt over the year and also include my experiences of uni life. I feel these are just important to the information pack so it effective communicates me as an individual.
Things I feel its important to include are the things I have learnt at uni mainly concerning the theories, I feel these are the fundamentals to graphic design and I something that I have found most useful.

Theories -
Typography 
Colour theory
Layout and the Fibonacci sequence 

I also want to Include other aspects of the course like illustration, blogging and software design. 

I want the illustration to flow together as one long picture so between the aspects of the course I want to involve experiences Ive had at uni, like going out, my students halls, drinking ect... 

I started by drawing out a grid on landscape A2 paper, two of these sheets roughly equal an A0 sheet of paper.       I drew boxes to help give me a guideline to see how the images would fit within each frame.




I started to draw out how I wanted the images to look, usually I wouldn't draw the illustrations out first in pencil because the images take on a different more refined look. This time though I wanted to get the flow of the drawings right and I also wanted to give the end result quite a clean look to it.











As I drew more onto the sheets I could experiment more with the pencil drawings, I felt there was a lot of blanc space so I filled it in with patterned illustration, I wanted the it to feel quite hectic rather than using negative space in the image. 









These are the final designs I sent off to print, On screen the colour, I think works pretty well but I will have to wait until the actual print arrives. I want to make a few different versions to see which work the best in the pack. 

This is a mock up i made of the pack, Ive concertinerd the A0 lenghth illustration so it fits neatly in the pack, I made the outside out of 28.5cm sheet of card that folds in on its self to give a flap to put the business cards I created.





This is the design I created for my business cards I went with something similar to the style i did with the fold out image except this time I used a much more structured layout to relate back to the grid work we did with Phil earlier in the year, I think it works well with the fold out page. 






Like the fold out poster I did three separate versions



For the outside of the information pack I designed a cover, I wrote my name on the front in a similar style to the inside to be in keeping in the design

For my hand in I have to use a mock up I created because the prints I sent off for haven't arrived in time, I feel the production is quite essential for this brief as it is reflecting you as a designer so my final result as its stands isn't as well as I could have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment